Pages

Thursday, October 11, 2012

Vampire Fang Collection - Tutorial

Prop #2 of the year is my Vampire Fang Collection! This is probably the easiest thing I've ever made. It took about an hour including baking time.

To make some yourself, all you need is some baking clay and an oven! Start with  a block of premo clay. I used glow in the dark cause it looked the most like tooth color and well, yes, I like that they can glow in the dark!

I've never worked with premo before but those of you who have probably know that it's sectioned off in little rectangles. I only used one rectangle for this project and ended up with about 24 fangs. You can see in the pic below that I had a store-bought vampire fang to use as a model for size (although mine ended up looking nothing like that). I basically just broke off little balls, rolled them around between my hands to warm the clay up and make it pliable. Then I just shaped them into fangs. I tried to make the tops have roots like human teeth, but my husband told me they were looking too much like shark teeth. So I ended up squishing those down and etching some lines in the top with my fingernails.
I made a variety of lengths but tried to keep them in pairs. Then i just popped them in the oven on a baking sheet for about 25 minutes on 275 degrees cause that's what it said to do on the package.
I may have cooked them a little too long because they ended up much more yellow than they were before baking. I thought about painting them white but decided they looked more authentic like they were.

I had found this awesome old jewelry box for $5 at an antique store a month ago. So I lined them up in there with a little bottle of "holy water" ($1 glass vial from Joanne's) and a cool gothic cross I had from an old Halloween costume.

Super easy, super cheap and it will fit perfectly in any vampire hunter's home!

3 comments:

  1. Very cool! Found you through Propnomicon who is featuring this project today. Nice job.
    http://propnomicon.blogspot.ca/2013/04/hunting-trophies.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just the inspiration I was looking for! WOW on the old box!! Fantastic! Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete